Monday 7 November 2011

Witness For The Prosecution (1957) – 7/7

If you are wondering why this movie has been given full marks, then I have only one thing to say. Because it is damn good!! This is not a high school English or Hindi exam where you can never score full marks and also I am not someone who is a hard man to please or who looks at all the technical intricacies of a movie. In short, I am no Rajeev Masand, I am just a teen who loves watching a movie with a friend and a pack of chips.

Anyway, after coming out of three exams on a trot with one major casualty, I was sitting in my room, strangling IMDB so that it pukes out some above average movie that I haven’t seen. And puke it did, Witness For The Prosecution.

IMDB Description: Agatha Christie tale of a man on trial for murder: a trial featuring surprise after surprise.

And it is exactly that. I had heard about this novel vaguely and so I decided to watch it after convincing my “no-not-black-and-white” friend to bear with me just this once. Thankfully, he did not regret it.

There is subtle humor throughout with the promised twists and the usual trial in the court where all hope is lost for the defendant until our brilliant defense lawyer pulls one out of the bag. But, the story just doesn't end there (picture abhi baaki hain dost!!) and that is where the movie makes all the difference in the world.

The protagonist Charles Laughton, the defense lawyer, steals the show and I don’t really know all those actors, but I guess all of them did pretty well.

As I said already, I have given it full marks because frankly, I can’t see where the movie could have been better. I am a big fan of movies that involves trials and lawyers, a love that has started from A Few Good Men and I am glad to have found another movie to match it.

VERDICT: Must Watch!!!

1 comment:

  1. I was his "no-not-black-and-white” friend. And now without any regrets i say that i have watched a "CLASSIC BLACK N WHITE " movie.....which even at 3-4am in night out din't push me into sleep.
    For a change just go with the old movie and enjoy :)

    ReplyDelete

Top Blogs
Powered By Invesp
Top Blogs
Powered By Invesp